Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit where you will receive all your benefits paid to you in one monthly payment. Benefits that will be replaced by Universal Credit are:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

How will it be paid?
Universal Credit will be paid in arrears as a single monthly payment, as this is how the majority of people are paid wages. Whereas currently all of our customers have their housing benefit entitlement paid directly to SLH, under Universal Credit your housing benefit will be paid directly to you as part of your monthly payment meaning you will have to pay SLH direct for your rent. Where a couple make a joint claim you will have to decide who receives the single payment.

When will people be transferred to Universal Credit?
From October 2013, all new claims for benefits will be paid through Universal Credit, it will then be phased in for all existing claimants.

How do I apply?
You will be expected to go online and complete a Universal Credit application form. It is expected that when Universal Credit is introduced, 50% of applications will be made online. This is expected to rise to 80% by the end of the role out period in 2017.

What if I cannot get online or use a computer?
If you are having trouble accessing the internet, get in touch, we can help.

Got more questions?
View the Universal Credit frequently asked questions, our get in touch with us.

To prepare you can:

  • Take the Universal Credit quiz to see how prepared you are
  • Ensure you have a bank/building society account, post office or Credit Union account so you can have your Universal Credit paid in directly.
  • Start to budget now by working out how much money you have to pay to cover your rent, council tax and utility bills each month. This method of payment will be a change for many of you who are used to receiving your benefits on a fortnightly basis. You will have to make sure your priority is to pay your rent, because, if you don’t, you will risk losing your home.
  • Set up a Direct Debit or other payment type so you can ensure your rent is paid promptly on receipt of your Universal Credit.
  • Get in touch to advise us how you intend to pay once you know that you will be going onto Universal Credit. When you make a claim, you may be asked for a copy of your tenancy agreement and a current rent statement. We can provide you with these documents.


You may not be affected now, but you could be affected in the future, so it's important that you are ready.

Get in touch if:

  • You are confused by the benefit changes
  • You are struggling to manage your money
  • You need support to open a bank account or get online.

Affordable Living

Click for more details

Money saving tips

Click for more details
Error loading MacroEngine script (file: ShowTileImage1Block.cshtml)

Money advice

Click for more details

Universal Credit FAQ - June 2015

Click for more details

Bedroom tax

Click for more details