Council Tax Support

On 1 April 2013 Council Tax Benefit was replaced by a local scheme called Council Tax Support.

If you were receiving Council Tax Benefit before 1 April you did not have to reapply for this entitlement as your claim was already reassessed using the new rules. All tenants should have received a letter at the end of March notifying you of the new amount you would have to start paying.

Council Tax Support is calculated in the same way as Council Tax Benefit by looking at a person’s income, savings and household circumstances. It affects working-age households only and people of pensionable age will not be affected and will continue to receive the same level of support as they did under Council Tax Benefit.

Under the new scheme, all working-age households will pay at least 8.5% of their Council Tax bill – referred to as Council Tax Contribution. This includes those people on income support, Jobseeker's Allowance, and Employment and Support Allowance, who used to have their entire Council Tax bill met under the Council Tax Benefit.

Below are two examples where people now have to pay their for Council Tax Contribution:

  • Single person aged 23, unemployed, receives JSA £56.80. Rent is £70.00. They are under occupying by 1 Bedroom. They will therefore have
    to pay £9.80 per week towards their rent and £1.27 per week towards their council tax bill.
  • A couple in a similar situation would have to pay £1.69 per week Council Tax Contribution.

What this means for you
Although the weekly amounts for Council Tax Contribution are not huge they can quickly add up, especially if you already affected by the bedroom tax. Please speak to your Neighbourhood Management Officer immediately if you are struggling to pay your rent because of these changes where we can offer you help and support.

Bedroom tax

Click for more details

Universal Credit

Click for more details

Money advice

Click for more details